Saturday 15 December 2012

Beyond the known


Below there is a real musical masterpiece from Vangelis, a Greek composer, and a text from me, showing   what this music awakes in me. The music was composed for the movie 1492: Conquest of Paradise, which does not do justice at all to this wonderful music. 

Hopefully with this post I can picture in your minds what my imagination creates when I listen to this amazingly beautiful music. Below you have the story, which runs from the beginning to minute 9:47. I have put the times so that you can follow it and see how I put it together and compare it to your feelings, thoughts etc. But anyway, you can just not pay attention at all to it and simply listen to the music first or read the story and then listen to it or...whatever you want. Just enjoy it :)






00:00-00:54 [Columbus, thinking]:
-This is coming to an end. It is just a matter of time that they become against me. Despair begins to corrode my insides as I can breath the air of mutiny at all times. Do you ignorants think I do not see what is happening? I can see you whispering at all times in every corner. I can see your hateful filthy faces and your poisoned looks drilling through my skin. I can smell your anger, your fear, your insanity, your bloodlust!

[The crew whispering and staring at him. Plans to kill Columbus are on the way].

[Still thinking]:

-Where in the hell are you, my promised land, guilty of my dreams and follies? At which point did I leave everything and did I decide to go for you towards adventure? Show up, I can smell you, I can feel you. Please, do not deceive me.


00:54-1:22
No! I cannot be wrong. I will fulfill my destiny and make my place in history!

[Addressing his crew]

-Comrades! Brothers!

[Columbus is interrupted by a mosquito (a sign of a nearby land), which comes down to Columbus's hand. Columbus is stunned, speechless for a few seconds and starts whispering]:

-What is this? Impossible. Is this a sign from heaven? Are you a messenger, coming from the spiritual world to reafirm my words?

1:22-1:40 [still whispering]
My stomach is about to betray me. An electric current moves menacingly emanating from the center of my body to the end of my limbs. My heart pounding and the energy unleashed because it cannot be held anymore...

[Everyone else is motionless, holding its breath and staring at the sight of the messenger...]


1:41-3:06 (Read quite quickly) [Columbus raises his voice and continues the speech]:

I understand your weariness and despair. I feel your frustration and your distrust. I also suffer from this disease called fear! But together we will overcome it! We have set on a journey beyond the known! We have ventured down a path that truly represents the very core of the human soul, of human existence! This unique quality of the human race that makes us insatiable. That willingness to give up everything! To leave the family and our lives behind and venture into the unknown in search of glory and eternity! Our soul is thirsty! Thirsty for knowledge, hungry for adventure, hungry for greatness! We were born with a special spirit, a spirit too large for a human body. A spirit that encompasses humanity itself, desirous of expansion, terrorized by the physical limits imposed. A spirit that will rise above the heads of the worldly people, to write its name in the timeless History, the one which consists of demigods that were once incorrectly called men. We have confronted the mediocre and before them we have raised! We were born with a glorifying star and an inevitable fate! We were born to change the world and nothing will stop us. Our ancestors watch and impatiently wait for us to come to our destiny, that which we pursue with devotion, without trembling, without hesitation. Fear may sometimes contaminate our blood, but we always triumph over it and expell it from our body. Our mind can slack off at times, clouded with grief, but our energy and determination is incorruptible and before any inconvenience on the road, our glorious venture dominates.

3:07-4:26 (Read very slowly)
[Still the speech]
Beyond just the glory awaits us. We await riches without paragon. They will write books about our adventures, and will tell stories and songs about our findings and wealth. We will be immortal. The world will not be the same anymore because we will have expanded its horizons. God pushes our blessed Santa María with his omnipotence, while our ancestors and all the glories that have contributed to human development applaud with devotion. The mighty wind is just a mere instrument which drives us towards our realization as gifted spirits. That destiny full of riches is there, before us. Our name in history is there, right in front of us, at our reach. Are we going after it?

Yeah!!!!!! Our destiny!!! God bless Columbus! Come on ruffians, damn lazy bastards! Full sail, no time to lose!! Yeahhhhh!!! [Everyone sings in ecstasy].

4:27-6:09: Columbus looks towards infinity, glimpsing the promised land, while the cheers and chants happen, charging the atmosphere with energy and electricity.

6:10-8:34 (read very very very slowly)
The depth begins to decrease. Everyone begins breathing harder, wide-opened eyes, expressionless, unblinking. 200 meters! 150 meters! 100 m! 80 meters! Time is eternal and all the crew watches, concentrated trying to guess a sign of land through the dense fog that covers everything. After a while of confussion, impatience and tension, the fog finally leaves, uncovering the promised land. The one that will expand the boundaries of human knowledge. The one that will bring them wealth and will make them immortal. It is God's land, reserved for those who contain a giant soul.

8:35-9:47.
Columbus sets foot in it and overcome with emotion, raises his head and looks at the sky. He looks to one side and the other, watching the rest of the crew celebrating the arrival. There is no sound, no wind, nothing. He attends as a spectator to the grandeur of this land. Everything goes in slow motion, no sound and there is no place in him for a single thought because he is overwhelmed, and can only behold. His chest expands close to bursting and finally, he releases all that stored overwhelming energy, that of a giant, with a deep breath as he kneels in the sand and raises his hands to heaven. He is immortal, he is in history.





And here the actual part of the movie where they disembark





No comments:

Post a Comment